Descendants of Edward Clark

Our ancestor, Edward Clark, one of the earliest settlers of Haverhill, Ma. was born in England in 1622; in Sept. 1662 he disposed himself to be about forty years of age. The publication, Dinghey V3-3:20 shows the birth date as being 11 Mar. 1622. Nothing is known relative to his English parentage, location, or heritage. Referring to “Dawes-Gates Ancestral Lines” by Mary W. Ferris- 1943: 179-180 and to “Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire” by Noyes,Libby, & Davis-1988: 147 we find that Edward Clark was brother of Thomas Clark-Cooper of Ipswich, Ma. Our Edward Clark was erroneously said to have died in 1695. He made a deed, 19 Dec. 1710, which he acknowledged three days later, whereby he gave “for love and fatherly affection to son Hanel (Hanniel) Clark of Haverhill for his care, dutiful and childlike affection in providing and maintaining me for this several years past, and in my old age in trust of him for future care, all lands and rights not before disposed of.” It is assumed that the fore mentioned “acknowledgment” was made on his deathbed. “All lands and rights not before disposed of” indicates that he had made earlier dispositions to his other children. The lack of reference to his second wife, Mary, suggests that she had previously died.

Edward Clark married Dorcas Bosworth of Ipswich, Ma on 20 Aug. 1648. She died on 13 Feb. 1681 at Haverhill. Her parentage and heritage is unknown. Edward married on 01 Nov 1682, as his second wife, Mary Johnson Davis, widow of Ephraim Davis.

Before the arrival of the English settlers in “Haverhill” in 1640, an Indian village, known as Pautucket, “the Peace by the Winding River” stood there. In 1642 the land was purchased from the Indians for L3 ten shillings. Permission for incorporation was granted to the settlers in 1645; the initial thirty two proprietors came from Ipswich, Ma. The name of this location was changed to “Haverhill” to honor the birthplace in England of the settlements first preacher, Rev. John Wood. These initial proprietors of Haverhill were “husbandmen”, i.e., farmers with sideline trades or professions.

Haverhill, situated in Essex County at the head of navigation on the Merrimac River, became one of the oldest industrial centers in this new world. The first tannery was built there in 1643 and the town early became noted for the manufacture of leather and shoes. The road to Andover was built in1648 and a sawmill was authorized to be built by Isaac Cousins in 1651. The house of Quaker poet, John Greenleaf Whittier, was built in 1688 which was described by him in his well known poem “Snowbound”. As a frontier town, Haverhill was long harassed by Indian raids and a frequent target during the French and Indian Wars.

Edward Clark, a farmer and a carpenter, is first heard of in 1646. The original plan of the town was that no man could have over twenty acres in the initial land assignments. An estate of L200 was required to qualify for the full twenty acres. For those of a lessor estate, a smaller grant of land was made. Edward Clark’s house lot in 1650 was taxed based upon an evaluation of L40. This original lot was known as his “accommodation grant”. He received additional grants of land in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th divisions of land which encompassed plough and grazing lands.

Edward Clark was much involved in the community where he lived. In 1658 he purchased the homeland and the farmland of Isaac Cousins, a locksmith, who had moved to Boston. The early churches did not have bells and very few of the colonists had clocks. As such, “drummers” or “horn blowers” were appointed by the town ruling selectmen to summon the worshipers to the meeting house. Edward Clark was appointed to “beet the drum on the Lord’s day and on the lecture day”. His pounding of the drum was also used to announce special news and as an alarm in times of danger. He was a juryman on several occasions; he was the constable in 1663 and 1664 and a deputy constable in 1669 and in1671. He was a principal in many lawsuits, sometimes as the plaintiff and sometimes as a defendant. He acted as an attorney for others in many cases though there is no evidence that he had any formal legal training. He removed to Portsmouth, N.H. in 1673 where he remained until his death. He owned a house and barn and an island where he lived in Portsmouth. He also had three acres of land in Little Harbor. In1676 he served as a corporal in King Philip’s War. On 28 Nov. 1677, he took the oath of allegiance with his sons Hanniel and Joseph. Our Edward Clark was a good responsible citizen in these trying days of the early colonists. That he was a man of stamina and fortitude is reflected in his advanced age of 88 years when the average longevity was 40-45 years. As there was no formal probate of his estate, we do not have details on his financial estate. We do know that he did accumulate a fair amount of land and the requisite tools, equipment, livestock associated there with. As such, we can assume that he was a man of fair estate.
References: FH23:445-454; FH49:177-180; PH7:155; PH13:147; PH27:1691; PH178;492.

Matthew Clark, the second son of Edward and Dorcas Bosworth Clark, was born, married, and died at Haverhill,Ma.; he was born about 1652, died prior to 06 June 1715 at which time the administration of his estate was granted to his wife Mary; Matthew married on 02 April 1679 Mary, daughter of Thomas and Phebe Latty Dow and widow of Gilbert Wilford. Mary was born 16 April 1644; the date of her death is unknown. Matthew and his wife Mary did live for awhile in Newbury, Ma. but it is believed that they eventually return to Haverhill. Matthew was mentioned in the will of Joseph Heath of Haverhill where he was received a nominal bequest. It is assumed that Matthew followed in the foot steps of his father Edward and was a farmer and a responsible citizen. One record indicates that Matthew was a mariner on the Kennebec River. All of their children were born in Haverhill,Ma.
References: FH23:454; FH49:180; FH82:550,736; PH7:157; PH13:145; PH178:492.

John Clark, the first born child of Matthew and Mary Dow (Wilford) Clark, was born 30 March 1680 at Haverhill, Ma. His will, made 20 July 1750 and was proved 12 June 1753. He married first, prior 1705, Mary Rundlett, daughter of Charles and Mary Shatswell Rundlett. He married second, on 1707+, Ann Smith, who was born about 1692 at Exeter, Ma., the daughter of Nicholas and Mary Gordon Smith. She died 22 Jan. 1775. John Clark removed to Stratham, N.H. prior to his 1st marriage. It is assumed that John, following family tradition, was a farmer and a responsible participating citizen of his community. All of his children were born at Stratham, H.M.
References:FH23:454; FH128:2; PH13:145,646; PH87:350-351.

Mary Clark, the first born child of John and Ann Smith Clark, was born 04 June 1712 and died 1753+ at both at Stratham, H.M. She married, in1735 at Strathem, N.H., Joshua Rollins, born 09 Aug.1713, died 19 April 1800 at Stratham, who was the son of Joseph and Hannah (–) Rollins.
References: PH13:145; FH23:454; FH257:25.